1) What is consignment?
When the Closet Exchange agrees to sell your items. When they sell, we split the proceeds from the sale.
2) Do we buy clothing outright?
3) What items do you accept?
• Women’s clothing, purses, shoes, jewelry and accessories.
• No more than two years old and in the current season.
• Freshly cleaned or laundered and on hangers.
• Items should be in perfect or near perfect condition.
• Three piece minimum to open an account.
4) What designers, brands, and labels do you accept?
Please click Here for a list of brands, labels and designers that we currently accept.
5) Are there brands or labels you don’t accept?
Please click Here for a list of brands and labels that currently aren’t selling well.
6) How long is the consignment period?
The consignment period is a minimum of six weeks. The consignment period begins when the item is placed on the floor.
7) What happens to the things that don’t sell?
Unsold items become property of the Closet Exchange to be liquidated or donated. Some of our current charities are: Dress For Success, Boomerang’s, Rosie’s Place and Circle of Hope.
8 ) What if I change my mind about consigning an item?
Just give us a call at the drop off store, 781-449-7344, anytime it is open and as long as your item hasn’t sold, we will arrange for you to pick it up.
9) Who determines the price?
All prices are set by the Closet Exchange. We price items at about a third to a quarter of the original retail price. Brand new items with the retailer’s original hang tags, are priced at approximately half of the original retail price.
10) How do you know how much to charge for my consigned items?
All pricing takes into consideration the competitive market. We research in depth each label and add that information to a database that is constantly updated. Closet Exchange prices must be more attractive than the retail stores in order to sell your items.
11) How do I get paid?
When an item sells, your account is immediately credited with the sale. Checks are mailed monthly for all sales over $50.00 that occurred in the previous month Amounts less than $50.00 for sales that occurred in the previous may be paid out in the store. You may use your account balance at any time as store credit when shopping in any of the stores.
12) How do I start? Can I drop off items for consignment at any time?
First time consignors need an appointment. Please call 781-449-7344. Please click Here for more information about getting ready for your first appointment.
13 ) Why the 20 piece limit per drop-off?
This amount assists us in getting your items processed quickly and out on the floor where the shoppers can find them.